Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bonding with Your Students


The modeling by people that we love is what changes us.
-Don Holdaway

You would not know how many times during the school year my students accidently call me “mom.” Although I do not have children of my own, I consider my students my children! I think having a bond with your students will allow you to help them learn. 

To bond with your students means that you:

-Treat them and their families with respect.
-Act kindly toward them.
-Show that we care about them.
-Listen to them.
-Keep them safe.
-Celebrate their efforts and accomplishments.
-Know their interests and incorporate those interests into the curriculum.
-Provide optimal learning conditions.
-Make sure they succeed from the very first day.
-Have faith in them as learners.
-Value them as individuals.

Teaching kindergarten, most of my students still love being loved. They tell me every morning how much they missed me, come up to me during all times of the day just to give me a hug, and many of them tell me they love me. I completely understand the importance of bonding with my students and I always work hard for each and every one of my students. I never belittle my students and I am always striving for success for every child in my classroom. I model for them constantly about how to be respectful and responsible and try my best to build a classroom learning community where all students feel safe.

As this chapter continues the author discusses how to encourage shared decision making in your classroom. You should tell students stories of things that happen in your life. I do this every after every weekend with my students and sometimes I wonder why they are so fascinated with the things I do! As a teacher we need to value our students’ stories and read stories aloud to them. We need to get to know our students as readers and learn about their reading lives at home. Most of all we need to enjoy and celebrate our students!

No comments:

Post a Comment