Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Share Your Reading Life


In my classroom I am always trying to get my kids excited about reading. I was fortunate enough that my mother saved all my childhood books, so I have several books that interest my students. They love when they get to go and choose one of my books to read (or look at the pictures) because they get to make the choice. 

One thing from the text that stood out to me was that I need to encourage my students to recommend books to each other. This will help them get excited about reading from their peers. 

My students are required to fill out a reading log every night and I fill out one as well. Anytime we read a book together in class I will write it on my reading log to model for the students how it works.

Another area that stood out to me was as a teacher we need to examine what we do as a reader and make our thinking and practices visible to our students. When ever I read stories to my kindergarteners I use think alouds all the time. This is very important for me because now that we are half way through the school year when I do a think aloud my kids will actually raise their hands and extend about their thinking as a response to my think aloud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment